Parent Category: Village
The Crown is thought to be one of two alehouses recorded in Penn in 1577. The other one is thought to have been on the site of the Red Lion, near Widmer pond. Today it is one of four public houses still open in the Conservation Area. The oldest part of the building is 16th century with late 18th and 20th century additions. The original part of the pub is built of red and grey brick with a tiled roof over.
The Crown is situated at the edge of the village where Witheridge Lane (formerly Witherage) comes up from Beaconsfield. It was once an inn with five bedrooms where Penn House estate workers met for suppers and large shooting parties were hosted. During the Second World War it was the local for the Home Guard. The pub was owned by the Penn Estate with the Daurvill family as landlords for over a century from 1750. The Garlands were then landlords from 1864 until 1929, when the inn was sold.