Planning & Conservation
The Residents Society takes a keen interest in matters of planning and conservation within the local area. A specific sub-committee has been formed to make appropriate representation to the local authority in the comparatively few cases where an application is thought to damage the wider interests of the community, bearing in mind the following aims:
1 to promote high standards of planning and architecture
2 to secure the preservation, protection, development and improvement of historic, architectural or public interest
3 to secure protection, conservation and enhancement of wildlife and the countryside
Penn and Tylers Green share a single, very large and varied Conservation Area which crosses the District boundary. The combined area covers about 85 acres with some 329 properties, 50 of which are listed. Penn is the more rural settlement, lying both within the Chilterns Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty and the Green Belt. A detailed account of the Conservation Area, its houses and many of its main features can be found in the book Mansions and Mudhouses, more details of which can be found here.
History of Penn Church
Oldest building in the Conservation Area
Set in an acre of churchyard, Holy Trinity has a late 12th century nave, built in flint with clunch and tiles incorporated. The font, consecration crosses and stone tomb are also 12th century. The south aisle and low tower are early 14th century and the clerestory and the queen-post roof are c.1400. Visitors to the Church should note the rare "Penn Doom" one of only five surviving wooden tympanums in the country. It is a 12 foot wide painting of the" Last Judgement" on oak panels and hangs above the chancel arch. It was added in the 15th century when Penn Church was owned by Chalcombe Priory in Northamptonshire.